Some people think getting here is half the fun! We guarantee a scenic ride.
Green Bank Observatory is located in Pocahontas County, West Virginia in the heart of the National Radio Quiet Zone. There is no cell service here! We highly recommend downloading a map to your phone, printing your directions to bring with you, and/or having an atlas or paper map.
- Do no rely solely on a GPS device as you may lose signal or be routed over some interesting “back country” roads!
- Please watch for and observe the posted speed limits when passing through small towns.
- Please turn off all non-medical bluetooth devices when you arrive to help us minimize radio signals that interfere with our telescopes!
Electric Vehicle charging stations (Level 1) are available! Passes are $3/day. Please enquire in the Galaxy Gift Shop at the Science Center. See our Visit page for Science Center hours.
Things to Do, Places to Stay
The Observatory address is 155 Observatory Rd, Green Bank, WV 24944
Find us on:
If you are coming from:
The North, take I-79 S to RT 33 East to RT 92 S
The South, take I-77 N to I-64 E to RT 92 N
The East, take
- I-64 W to RT 92 N – OR
- RT 33 W to RT 28 S/W to RT 92 S
The West, take:
- RT 50 E to I-79 S to RT 33 E to RT 92 S – OR
- I-64 E to I-79 N to RT 33 E to RT 92 S – OR
- I-64/I-77 E to I-64 E to RT 92 N
From Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
- Take Airport Blvd, then follow directions to I-376 E towards Pittsburgh
- At exit 64A, take I-79 S toward Washington
- Take left ramp for I-79 S / I-70 E toward Morgantown / New Stanton
- At exit 21, take right ramp for I-79 S toward Morgantown
- Follow directions above for travel from the North
From Charlottesville/Albemarle Airport (CHO)
- Depart Airport via Airport Road
- Turn right to take VA-29 S / Seminole Trail
- Follow signs for 29 or 29 Bypass towards I-64
- Take I-64 W toward Staunton
- Follow directions above for travel from the East
From Washington Dulles (IAD)
- Take Dulles Airport Access Rd to exit airport
- Take ramp right for VA-28 S toward Centreville/Manassas
- Take ramp right for I-66 W toward Front Royal
- Take I-66 W, and at exit 1A, take ramp left for I-81 S toward Roanoke
- Take Exit 296 for US-48 W to Patterson Creek Rd and exit from US-48 onto WV-28 S
- Take slight left onto WV-42 South (Lunce Creek Highway)
- Turn right toward WV-28 S/WV-55 W
- Stay on WV-28 S to Green Bank Observatory