Home » Media
Information for requests by the press for interviews, photography, film, and other resources
Guidelines for the use of Green Bank Observatory media and communications follow:
The scientific work performed at Green Bank Observatory limits the use of electronic devices onsite, including digital cameras and smartphones. Film and photography created by the general public is encouraged and welcome in public areas including the Science Center, outdoor area surrounding the Science Center, and the telescope observation deck. Please be aware of warnings and signs directing you to turn off (or leave electronic devices in your vehicle) in all other areas on site. If you are participating in an educational program during your visit, Green Bank Observatory staff will direct you where photography is safe and permitted.
During your visit, your image may be recorded by Green Bank Observatory staff for educational or promotional purposes for the Green Bank Observatory. Photography/video will be of group activities only and not focused on individuals to protect identity and privacy. If you have any concerns, please alert a staff member.
All requests for interviews, film, and photography must be received with advanced notice. The scientific work performed at Green Bank Observatory limits the use of electronic devices onsite, including digital cameras. Advanced notice is required to allow for the scheduling of photography and film, and access to certain areas will require background checks for safety and security. Film and photography, outside of public areas, is restricted to maintenance days only. Please note that specific observations may limit the ability to film or photograph at the site without prior notice.
All press requests must be processed through Jill Malusky, Public Relations Specialist (firstname.lastname@example.org). Requests made through other staff or communications may not be approved or receive a response.
All images and videos found on this site may on a non-exclusive basis be reproduced without fee, on the conditions outlined below.
All GBO images and videos are copyright protected on behalf of the Green Bank Observatory (GBO), Associated Universities, Inc. (AUI), and the National Science Foundation (NSF), and are licensed for use under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/) in accordance with the following conditions:
- The image or video credit, as given on the GBO website, must be clearly visible as the source of the image material.
- If an image credit names persons affiliated with other institutions, it is possible that the person(s) or their institution(s) could assert ownership of the image; the user should contact the named institution(s) to secure permission. If an individual listed in the credit line is a member of the American Astronomical Society, his/her contact information can be obtained from (https://members.aas.org/directory/directory.cfm).
- GBO materials, images and videos may not be used to state or imply the endorsement by GBO or any GBO employee of a product or service without express written permission from GBO.
- GBO/AUI/NSF disclaim any and all liability arising from the use of GBO images or video. The user shall hold GBO harmless against any and all such claims.
- If an image or video includes an identifiable person, reproducing that image or video may infringe that person’s right of privacy; the user should obtain separate permission from the individual.
- Narrated videos (as opposed to b-roll footage or animation clips, which the GBO offers for the express purpose of incorporation into new creative works) may be reproduced only in their entirety, and may not be embedded within other video productions, unless express written permission from GBO is obtained to allow such use; such permission if granted by GBO may require the user to secure additional permissions from third parties.
- Voiceover narration, music contained within a narrated video, or video of an on-camera program host (e.g., “talent”) may not be excerpted or re-used in any way other than in the reproduction of the complete video without express written permission from GBO, which permission may require the user to secure additional permissions from third parties.
- Broadcast or public/theatrical performance of any narrated video on this site is prohibited without express written permission from GBO.
These provisions do not extend to use of the GBO logo, which may not be used or reproduced without prior and individual written consent of GBO. Owners of external websites wishing to link to the GBO web site may use GBO’s logo for the link, provided they have obtained prior authorization from the GBO Education and Public Outreach Department and on the condition that such use is clearly identifiable as a web link.
By reproducing, distributing, broadcasting or otherwise using GBO images videos, in part or in full, the user acknowledges and agrees to abide by the above terms.
Contact email@example.com for any clarification or permissions.
GBO requests that a single copy of tangible products that use our images or videos be sent to us at the following address:
Green Bank Observatory
P.O. Box 2
Green bank, WV 24944
The Green Bank Observatory uses social media in several ways to communicate for educational and promotional purposes.
This policy addresses the creation of content and management of these platforms.
Content featured in social media platforms may be created by GBO staff or reposted from similar content creators.
Visitors to the GBO campus may be recorded for educational or promotional purposes. Statements that this recording may occur will be posted in publicly accessible areas. Photography/video will be of group activities only and not focused on individuals to protect identity and privacy, unless individuals give specific consent. Visitors with concerns should alert staff.
Platform Management for Users
Social networking sites are participatory and involve sharing among multiple users. GBO is committed to ensuring civil discussions and expects participants to treat each other with respect. GBO does not discriminate against any views, but we do monitor content and will remove, without warning, any of the following:
- Comments that contain abusive, vulgar, offensive, threatening, or harassing language;
- Personal attacks/insults of any kind;
- Unsupported accusations;
- Defamatory language that targets specific individuals or groups;
- Comments that reveal personally identifiable information;
- Comments that include information that is privileged, personal, proprietary or otherwise not for public disclosure;
- Spam and comments that are clearly “off topic;”
- Advertising, solicitations, and commercial endorsements;
- Comments that involve political campaigning or lobbying; and,
- Other comments that the GBO deems inappropriate.
GBO reserves the right to ban from its social media platforms users who repeatedly violate its comment policy. A delay in deleting a policy-violating posting should not be seen as an exception or an acceptance of any comment or opinion.
GBO does not guarantee that any information posted on its social media platforms is correct, and disclaims any liability for any loss or damage resulting from reliance upon such information. GBO does not guarantee, and assumes no liability for, anything posted on our social media platforms by any person, employee or otherwise.
Links to websites not maintained by GBO are provided solely for the information and convenience of users.
- From West Virginia to Hawaii: Green Bank Observatory Shares Innovation with 3,000 Astronomers
- New Tech, Bright Future, for the National Science Foundation’s Green Bank Observatory
- Most Massive Neutron Star Ever Detected, Almost too Massive to Exist
- The Green Bank Telescope Snaps New Hot Photos of the Moon
- NSF Record of Decision on Green Bank Observatory – Continued Operations for Science and Education
News About GBO
- Dr. Brett McGuire: 1 of the Top 10 Scientists, According to Science News
- NO SIGNAL: Growing Up in Green Bank, West Virginia
- Fairmont State University composer explores sounds of Green Bank
- WiFi Is Illegal in This American Town. (And Yes, People Actually Live There.)
- Breakthrough Listen Announces New Collaboration