Below you’ll find links relevant to observing with the GBT.
Please go here for important Observer Alerts.
- GBT Observer’s Guide: Detailed information and instructions on observing tools, procedures, and best practices, as well as front-end and back-end instruments and GBT scheduling.
- GBT Observer Training Videos: Instructional videos on preparing for observations with the GBT.
- GBT Receiver Parameters – table of receivers and frequency ranges
- Instruments and observing modes: Information about the GBT’s instrument suite and capabilities.
- Observing policies
- Current GBT schedule
- GBT Dynamic Scheduling System: Portal for managing aspects of all active and past proposals, including project members, remote observing qualification, and observer and project black-out dates (DSS log-in required).
- Weather forecasts: Detailed forecasts of atmospheric opacity, wind speed, and system temperature. These forecasts are used by the DSS to efficiently schedule all GBT projects, and are of particular interest to high-frequency observers.
- Current weather: Conditions at GBT Weather Station #2.
- Receiver schedule: Planned availability of GBT front-end receivers (DSS log-in required).
- Remote observing instructions
- Good calibration practices
- Observer comments: Portal for submitting comments about active and completed projects (CAS log-in required).
- Telescope operations logs (DSS log-in required)
- The Proposer’s Guide to the GBT
- GBT Observing Guides (examples)