2020 is the 20th anniversary of the dedication of the Green Bank Telescope! The telescope was dedicated August 25th, 2000. We are celebrating with an art contest, vote for the winning art now!
Here’s how to enter:
Share your original artwork inspired by the Green Bank Telescope (GBT) and its discoveries with us through social media. Upload a digital file (JPEG, TIFF, PNG, etc.) in our Facebook event or by Direct Message on our Facebook page. If you are unable to access this platform, you can email gbsciencenter at gmail.com.
We know there are a lot of ways to make art!
- You can draw, paint, make a collage, or print – just snap a digital photograph of it to submit
- You can make digital artwork using a computer, tablet, or mobile device
- You can use photos from our Flickr to make your artwork or get ideas from our science news
- You can use a photo you took using a film camera during a visit
- You can use a digital photo you took from our Observation deck during your visit
There will be 3 categories for submission:
- Child (ages 3-12)
- Teen (ages 13-17)
- Adult (ages 18+)
Individuals are limited to three entries. The deadline to submit is June 10th.
All submissions will be reviewed by Observatory staff and shared with the public for online voting.
Winners will receive a complimentary one-year membership to our Science Center.
Winners’ art will be reproduced onsite for a real life exhibit, to be on display in 2020, when the Science Center reopens.
By participating, you give the Observatory permission to share your art for promotional and educational purposes.