Green Bank Observatory (GBO) Image Use Policy
All images and videos found on this site may on a non-exclusive basis be reproduced without fee, on the conditions outlined below.
All GBO images and videos are copyright protected on behalf of the Green Bank Observatory (GBO), Associated Universities, Inc. (AUI), and the National Science Foundation (NSF), and are licensed for use under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/) in accordance with the following conditions:
- The image or video credit, as given on the GBO website, must be clearly visible as the source of the image material.
- If an image credit names persons affiliated with other institutions, it is possible that the person(s) or their institution(s) could assert ownership of the image; the user should contact the named institution(s) to secure permission. If an individual listed in the credit line is a member of the American Astronomical Society, his/her contact information can be obtained from (https://members.aas.org/directory/directory.cfm).
- GBO materials, images and videos may not be used to state or imply the endorsement by GBO or any GBO employee of a product or service without express written permission from GBO.
- GBO/AUI/NSF disclaim any and all liability arising from the use of GBO images or video. The user shall hold GBO harmless against any and all such claims.
- If an image or video includes an identifiable person, reproducing that image or video may infringe that person’s right of privacy; the user should obtain separate permission from the individual.
- Narrated videos (as opposed to b-roll footage or animation clips, which the GBO offers for the express purpose of incorporation into new creative works) may be reproduced only in their entirety, and may not be embedded within other video productions, unless express written permission from GBO is obtained to allow such use; such permission if granted by GBO may require the user to secure additional permissions from third parties.
- Voiceover narration, music contained within a narrated video, or video of an on-camera program host (e.g., “talent”) may not be excerpted or re-used in any way other than in the reproduction of the complete video without express written permission from GBO, which permission may require the user to secure additional permissions from third parties.
- Broadcast or public/theatrical performance of any narrated video on this site is prohibited without express written permission from GBO.
These provisions do not extend to use of the GBO logo, which may not be used or reproduced without prior and individual written consent of GBO. Owners of external websites wishing to link to the GBO web site may use GBO’s logo for the link, provided they have obtained prior authorization from the GBO Education and Public Outreach Department and on the condition that such use is clearly identifiable as a web link.
By reproducing, distributing, broadcasting or otherwise using GBO images videos, in part or in full, the user acknowledges and agrees to abide by the above terms.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any clarification or permissions.
GBO requests that a single copy of tangible products that use our images or videos be sent to us at the following address:
Green Bank Observatory
Education & Public Outreach
P.O. Box 2
Green bank, WV 24944