Pocahontas County Science Fair
Did you know that students who complete science projects develop skills that are useful no matter what their later occupation? Science Fair participants learn how to develop an idea, plan an experiment, conduct that experiment. They learn how to keep a logbook, analyze data, create charts and graphs. AND they gain important communication skills! Plus, it’s just plain fun!
Green Bank Science Center
We had a great 2016 Science Fair! Dates for the 2017 Science Fair will be be posted once the school calendar is published for next year.
Students from grades 3rd-12th are invited to participate. Submissions from schools are capped as follows:
Hillsboro 3-5th: 20 projects
MES 3-5th: 20 projects
MMS 6-8th: 25 projects
GBEMS 3-5th: 20 projects
GBEMS 6-8th: 25 projects
High School: 20 projects
Looking for some good ideas? Visit www.sciencebuddies.org. Make sure to review the Rules and Judging_Rubric! To help with project ideas and methods, the Observatory will provide mentors to visit schools twice leading up to the event. The Board of Education will provide transportation to and from the event. We are asking schools to provide bagged lunches.
- Contact Sue Ann Heatherly to schedule mentor visits.
- Find volunteers in your area who could be judges.
- Collect permission forms – keep original form and send all project information to Sue Ann by Tuesday, December 1st (student names, grades, project titles, category). We will assign poster number and notify you before you come so you can help your students find where to set up.
- We are asking schools to send bagged lunches or have students bring their own lunch, but we do have an option to buy lunch by pre-ordering from the Starlight Cafe. Snacks require no pre-ordering Request an Order Form from Sue Ann at email@example.com.
- The Green Bank Observatory does not distribute poster boards.
- Students may set up their projects early on Monday, December 7th between 11am-6pm. Otherwise, set-up is between 8am-9am on December 8th.
- Project categories are: Physical Science, Life Science, and Engineering.
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place ribbons will be given for each category in each grade, and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies will be given for overall winner.We will also hand out “Judges Choice” awards.
- We recommend displaying projects at your school after the Science Fair is over. This will be great for parents to see and for younger students to get interested in Science Fair for the future. We can help transport posters back to schools if needed. Let us know how we can help!
- The Galaxy Gift Shop will be open with fun items for purchase!
Sue Ann Heatherly
Public Education Officer
Green Bank Observatory
sheather at nrao dot edu